What is the Berkeley Changemaker?
Berkeley ChangemakerTM codifies an essential part of what UC Berkeley has always stood for and provides a future-oriented narrative that our whole campus is rallying behind, humanists and scientists alike. Through a focus on i) critical thinking, ii) communication, and iii) collaboration, its curriculum activates undergraduates’ passions and helps them develop a sharper sense of who they want to be and how to make that happen.
Berkeley Changemaker is a people-vision.
This is its most compelling why. What separates a changemaker from UC Berkeley is that they draw from, and build on, elements that make this university itself unique, including a singular history for leading inclusively, thinking creatively, and with an agency for making society, and our world, better.
Berkeley Changemaker is an inspiring unifier.
Berkeley’s uniqueness in its breadth-plus-depth of intellectual creativity provides an opportunity to integrate disciplines as no other university can. Departments and schools all across campus are seeing themselves in the narrative. The Berkeley Changemaker community is a welcoming and inclusive “neighborhood” where students feel like they belong.
Berkeley Changemaker is identity-making.
Changemaking is at the heart of the Berkeley identity. It's time to double down.
I came to Berkeley to work on planet scale problems with one-of-a-kind people. This course empowered me to do just that. When I first read the description, I couldn't help but sign up. Over the past few weeks, I've received an exciting and inspiring introduction into the magic of UC Berkeley. Beyond the changemaker skillset I have been able to develop, I've learned that Berkeley is a place without limits, and I have the power to shape it in my own unique way.Miles Nash, Class of 2025 and Berkeley Changemaker
So, as someone who had relatively little guidance as to how I could be a leader, changemaker, and effective teammate before this course, I am more than excited to instill the lessons I've learned into my everyday life. Since the course, I've started a project with a fellow changemaker, have set aside the time for an organization I'm hoping to develop and have begun planning for future endeavors!Cyn Gomez, Class of 2024, L&S12 Student and Berkeley Changemaker
August 27, 2021
August 17, 2021
July 21, 2021
Berkeley Changemaker Highlights
- Another 460 Berkeley Changemakers just completed our Summer 2021 Course 12: The Berkeley Changemaker, including the inaugural Berkeley Changemaker: First-Year Experience cohort, the first of its kind at UC Berkeley since the 1970s.
- Over 2,500+ have enrolled in Berkeley Changemaker courses since July 2020.
- "The Berkeley Changemaker" gateway Course 12 is now offered all three semesters.
- Course 12 consistently earns high course & instructor effectiveness ratings from our students.
- Our suite of Berkeley Changemaker courses now includes 14 courses.
- Our fourth staff workshop, Berkeley Changemaker: The Conversation, on December 8 at 1:00pm, will focus on excerpts from the book, The Conversation – How Seeking and Speaking the Truth About Racism Can Radically Transform Individuals and Organizations, by Dr. Robert Livingston. We will be joined by Dr. Livingston.
I love the fact that changemakers do not need to be bounded by their areas of interest, be it public health, food activism, electronics, writing. All of us in our own respect and interest can make a difference, especially with these lectures to guide us.Course 12 Student, Class of 2024