What is the Berkeley Changemaker?
Berkeley ChangemakerTM is a way to codify an essential part of what UC Berkeley has always stood for, and judging from early feedback, provides a future-oriented narrative that our whole campus can rally behind, humanists and scientists alike. Its curriculum activates undergraduates’ passions and helps them develop a sharper sense of who they want to be and how to make that happen.
Berkeley Changemaker is a people-vision.
This is its most compelling why. What separates a changemaker from UC Berkeley is that they draw from, and build on, elements that make this university itself unique, including a singular history for leading inclusively and an agency for making society better.
Berkeley Changemaker can be an inspiring unifier.
Berkeley’s uniqueness in its breadth-plus-depth of intellectual creativity provides an opportunity to integrate disciplines as no other university can -- and departments all across campus are seeing themselves in the narrative.
Berkeley Changemaker can be identity-making.
Changemaking is at the heart of the Berkeley identity. It's time to double down.
Questioning the status quo and serving the community are certainly important themes right now. These values are why I chose Berkeley and I am glad we are taking the time to analyze how we can act on those values in the interest of building a better world.Isha Soni, Class of 2024, L&S12 Student, and Berkeley Changemaker
So, as someone who had relatively little guidance as to how I could be a leader, changemaker, and effective teammate before this course, I am more than excited to instill the lessons I've learned into my everyday life. Since the course, I've started a project with a fellow changemaker, have set aside the time for an organization I'm hoping to develop and have begun planning for future endeavors!Cyn Gomez, Class of 2024, L&S12 Student and Berkeley Changemaker
Berkeley Changemaker Highlights
- Another 460 Berkeley Changemakers will soon be completing our Summer 2021 Course 12: The Berkeley Changemaker.
- Over 2,000+ enrollments have happened in Berkeley Changemaker courses since July 2020.
- Our fourth staff workshop, Berkeley Changemaker: The Conversation, on December 8 at 1:00pm, will focus on excerpts from the book, The Conversation – How Seeking and Speaking the Truth About Racism Can Radically Transform Individuals and Organizations, by Dr. Robert Livingston. We will be joined by Dr. Livingston.
- Our third staff workshop, Berkeley Changemaker - The Sum of Us: Building a Culture of Belonging, took place on June 3 from 11:30am -12:45pm PST as a part of the UC system-wide NOW Conference, hosted by UC Berkeley.
- Our second staff workshop, Managing Turbulence: A Berkeley ChangemakerTM Workshop, enrolled over 200 staff members from across campus.
- Our first Berkeley Changemaker staff development workshop, "YOU are a Berkeley Changemaker!," welcomed over 120 staff members.
- "The Berkeley Changemaker" gateway Course 12 is now offered all three semesters.
- Course 12 consistently earns a course effectiveness rating of well over 6/7.