Be the change you want to see in the world.
For generations, UC Berkeley has fostered changemakers who strive to leave their mark on the world through positive and sustainable change.
If you find yourself questioning the status quo, seeking to make things better for your community, wanting to build a lasting connection and dreaming of making a meaningful difference—then start here!
In this brand-new, first-year program offered by UC Berkeley, you will embark on the journey of a lifetime to find out who you really are and define the role you want to play in a wonderful new future that we can build together.
You’ll participate in a unique residential college experience in Oakland. In this diverse and open community of changemakers, your Berkeley classmates, advisers, instructors and faculty are always there to support you. Within this haven, you’ll gain the confidence to do more and take risks.
Think of the UC Berkeley Changemaker—Oakland program as Berkeley's laboratory for dreaming, collaborating and leading inclusively.
Join an Upcoming Information Session
Wednesday, April 28, 4–5 pm (PT)
New admits can access this session via MAP @ Berkeley.
We look forward to seeing you at one of the sessions!
All students welcome!
Together, let’s imagine, design and create.
- Enroll in a focused set of courses in Oakland with an option to take an additional course on the main UC Berkeley campus.
- Live in a comfortable single-occupancy room on the pastoral campus of Mills College in Oakland; most students will not have a roommate.
- Take advantage of full board on the Mills College campus, plus receive additional meal points on the Berkeley campus.
- Fulfill breadth requirements for the College of Letters and Science and Rausser College of Natural Resources.
- Take classes with smaller groups of students and develop strong relationships with your instructors.
Join a close-knit and diverse community of only 200 students—think of this as a small liberal-arts college experience within a larger UC campus.
- Receive dedicated academic advising.
- Participate in co-curricular events that highlight arts, culture, activism, history and innovation in the City of Oakland.
- Choose an internship that brings your changemaker project to life.
Start With Our Summer Changemaker Course
Jump right into your changemaking year with our innovative, online course, “The Berkeley Changemaker.”
Meet other incoming Berkeley students from around the world and be introduced to 22 of the campus’ most distinguished faculty members, from 18 departments and seven schools across campus, who will share how they think about changemaking and leadership, and how they put those skills into action.
Develop a sharper sense of who you want to be and gain the tools to be successful throughout your Berkeley career.
Guest faculty will include Chancellor Carol Christ, U.S. Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen and nine Distinguished Teaching Award winners at Berkeley. Learn more about this amazing opportunity!
Make your first year at Berkeley special with this truly life-changing experience!
BERKELEY CHANGEMAKER is a trademark of The Regents of the University of California through its Berkeley campus. It is not affiliated with any third parties using “changemaker” or similar terms.